New Tasting Room Opens in Angels Camp!

Calaveras Enterprise – Jan. 19th, 2017  Downtown Angels Camp is home to a new wine venue. Vino Metate opened the doors to its new tasting room on Main Street in November. Owners Sierra and Michael Stange chose the location to fulfill their keen desire to be part of the community and contribute to a revitalization of the downtown area.

“I love being part of the community,” said Sierra. “It’s nice to be among friends and neighbors.”

Vino Metate was a dream realized by the young couple in 2006, when they combined their shared passions for Spanish heritage and organic farming to create “a totally new wine experience.”

The Stanges planted a 9-acre vineyard in 2006 in Bar XX off Highway 4, with popular Spanish varieties Albarino, Garnacia, Tempranillo, Mona-strell and Graciano. The first harvest came in 2010.

Last year, the vineyard produced 40 tons of grapes, 80 percent of which was sold to local wineries, including Twisted Oak, Hatcher, Lavender Ridge, La Folia and Valdo Vino. The remaining 20 percent of the harvest yielded 600 cases of premium Vino Metate wines.

The couple takes winemaking very seriously, often traveling to Spain to research the various areas, wines and vineyards. “Spain is very large,” Sierra said, “with different cultures and dialects from east to west and north to south, with grapes following suit, offering many different qualities and flavors.”

To create future one-of-a-kind wines, the couple has imported additional clones from Spain, and they have begun the process to trademark the clones. The new clones are currently under quarantine at the University of California, Davis, Food and Plant Science facility, where they will remain for seven years. One of the clones is a Godello variety, usually vinted into a sweet white wine, with floral and fruity characteristics. Another clone is from the Treixudra variety, which Sierra says, “is a wonderful blending grape.”

The Vino Metate wine tasting room is at 1259 S. Main St., Angels Camp, and is open Thursdays through Mondays, from 1 to 5 p.m. On Saturdays and Mondays, it is open a bit later, as they offer an open mic on Saturdays from 5 to 7 p.m., and live Spanish guitar on Mondays, also from 5 to 7 p.m. During special events, wine is for sale by the glass, as well as by the bottle.

Vino Metate is available on Amazon, at the Camps Cellar Room and at the tasting room. They also offer a wine club with discounts on purchases and wine tastings.

For more information, call 736-9612, or visit

Upcoming Events